All Star Brass - "Toccata & Fugue: Live in Concert 2012"
Regular priceSale price
"The All-Star Brass was born in 2009 out of a concept that developed after hearing the string quartet recordings of Stern, Perlman, Zukerman and Ma. I decided that I wanted to form a collective of the greatest brass soloists in the world who all had independent careers but wanted to get together for the synergy of playing chamber music.
When Fred Mills arranged Bach's Toccata and Fugue for the Canadian Brass 35 years ago at the Banff Centre, it was a seminal moment in the history of brass chamber music and ushered in a new era of expectation for brass chamber music.
From the fiendish off-beat syncopation, trading of sixteenth notes, diminished chord triplets played in thirds and unison two octave arpeggios in the trumpets to the nimble dexterity required by both tuba and trombone to the soaring horn line ending - never before had an arrangement been attempted that would push brass players to these technical limits.
As four members of ASB had previously performed in the Canadian Brass, we felt it would be appropriate to honor the legacy of the original members of the Canadian Brass and Fred Mills in particular for creating this arrangement which changed forever the impression of what was possible for brass players and transformed the way audiences perceived brass chamber music." - Jens Lindemann, Founder, All Star Brass
ALL STAR BRASS Jens Lindemann, Trumpet Ryan Anthony, Trumpet Martin Hackleman - Horn Keith Dyrda - Trombone Patrick Sheridan - Tuba SPECIAL GUESTS: Al Kay, Trombone Carl Schwonik, Drums Sam Pilafian, Tuba
1. TOCCATA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR – Johann Sebastian Bach, arr. Frederick Mills
2. lo pur respiro – Carlo Gesualdo, arr. Sam Pilafian
3. POLONAISE IN A-FLAT MAJOR, OP. 53 – Frédéric Chopin, arr. Patrick Sheridan
4. ANDANTE CANTABILE – Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, arr. Patrick Sheridan
5. RICOCHET – Kerry Turner
6. LIBERTANGO – Ástor Piazolla, arr. Josef Burgstaller
7. OBLIVION – Ástor Piazolla, arr. Josef Burgstaller
8. DON'T GET AROUND MUCH ANYMORE – Duke Ellington, arr. Al Kay
9. IN OUR HEARTS – Allan Gilliliand
10. CARIOCA – Vincent Youmans, arr. Al Kay
11. I'M BEGINNING TO SEE THE LIGHT – Ellington, George, Hodges, & James, arr. Al Kay
12. ONE NOTE SAMBA – Antônio Carlos Jobim, arr. Al Kay